Horizon Martial Arts News – 2008
January 26, 2008 – King Cobra’s Karate tournament in Erie, PA
Sensei O of Datu’s Tribe competed at the King Cobra’s Karate tournament in Erie, PA. Accompanied by members of Team HMA (Horizon Martial Arts) the group place in several events with Sensei Cass placing 2nd in the Black Belt fighting division.
February 23, 2008 – New Jersey State Sport Weapons Championships
Four members Datu’s Tribe competed in the 2008 New Jersey State Sport Weapons Championships, held in Edgewater Park, NY and dominated the divisions they competed in. Competing for the Tribe were Datu Tim Hartman, Morgan Hooley, Aaron and Elizabeth Harm. The Tribe came away with the following award:
Datu Hartman: NJ State Champion in Sword Fighting, 2nd Stick Fighting 3rd Nunchachu Fighting.
Morgan Hooley: NJ State Champion in Sword, Stick and Nunchachu Fighting.
Aaron Harm: NJ State Champion in Sword, Stick and Nunchachu Fighting.
Elizabeth Harm: 2nd Sword Fighting, 2nd Stick Fighting 2nd Nunchachu Fighting.
March – Datu Hartman was named New York State Chief Instructor for the International Philippine Martial Art Federation under Great Grandmaster Ernesto Presas.
March 29 – Horizon Martial Arts played host for the WMAA US Team Trial. An Amazing 23 members from HMA qualified for this years Team US.
April 5 – 2008 NAFMA Ohio State Championship, held in Newcomerstown, OH
Accompanied by members of Team HMA (Horizon Martial Arts) Datu’s Tribe competed in the 2008 NAFMA Ohio State Championship, held in Newcomerstown, OH. and dominated the divisions they competed in. The team came away with the following awards:
- Datu Hartman: Ohio State Champion in Stick Sparring, Weapons and Forms.
- Sensei O: Ohio State Champion in Point Sparring and Forms.
- Guro Caffrey: Ohio State Champion in Weapons and 2nd in Forms and Stick Fighting
- Zack Patti: Ohio State Champion in Stick Sparring, Point Sparring, Weapons and Forms.
- Morgan Hooley: Ohio State Champion in Stick Sparring, Point Sparring, Weapons and Forms.
- Pat Miller: Ohio State Champion in Stick Sparring & Point Sparring, 2nd in Weapons and Forms.
- Adam Lampman:Ohio State Champion in Stick Sparring, Forms & 2nd Weapons.
- Nicholas Lampman: 3rd Point Sparring, 4th Weapon, Kata & Stick Fighting.
- Jeff Dulinawka: Ohio State Champion in Stick Sparring, 2nd in Weapons and Forms and 3rd in Point Sparring.
Team HMA Members:
- Eric Fray: Ohio State Champion in Weapons, 2nd in Stick Fighting, 3rd in Forms and Point Sparring.
- Sarah Stechenfinger: Ohio State Champion in Weapons, 2nd in Point Sparring, 3rd in Forms and Stick Fighting.
- Devin Dulinawka: 2nd in Weapons, 3rd in Point and Stick Sparring.
May 23/24 2008 Atlantic City NAFMA Championships
Datu Hartman, accompanied by five member of the Tribe, participated in the 2008 NAFMA Championships. We all kicked ass and took names. Our six members brought back nine National titles. In addition to competing, Datu Hartman was asked to be the head official in several of the featured events, including the King of the Hill sparring division. The finals for the King of the Hill division were done during the debut of the NAFMA Kickboxing Event. All members had a great time and are looking forward to next year’s event.
June 6-8, 2008 Buffalo NY.
On June 6, 2008, the World Modern Arnis Headquarters (Horizon Martial Arts) was host to the 7th Annual WMAA Training Camp. Participants were treated to the brand new 5000 sq ft state of the art facility. Some of the amenities include:
* 2 matted training areas totaling over 2400+ sq ft.
* G 4000 Focus Master.
* Professional Boxing and Kickboxing equipment.
* Impressive pro shop offering a variety of merchandise, including training equipment, clothing and many other items.
* Spacious lobby with a big screen TV providing a welcome rest area or a place to check email complete with wireless internet.
This year’s camp featured Grandmasters Tim Hartman and Rick Manglinong with special guests Grand Tuhon Nene Tortal (Dekiti Tirsia Siradas) and Sensei Gerri DiSanto (MMA/BJJ) and was a high energy training opportunity to over 30 participants from all over the continent.
Day one opened with GM Manglinong teaching a Kombatan session to get the weekend going. He reviewed material from previous camps, then integrated new material into the training. Next up was the founder of Dekiti Tirsia Siradas, GM Nene Tortal, who went through the basics of his family system. Everyone was delighted to see GM Tortal use Datu Hartman as his “crash test dummy”. As much as the Datu enjoyed helping Grand Tuhon Tortal, he made sure that others experienced the same “honor”.
By this time everyone had worked up quite an appetite, and a dinner break followed at the Chinese buffet.
After dinner, Sensei Gerry Di Santo covered MMA & BJJ Concepts which also served as an introduction to the new WMAA Grappling program. Sensei Gerry went over concepts on transitioning from stand up into takedowns, ground controls and submissions.
Datu Hartman closed out the training portion of the day with some old school drills for training the traditional striking patterns that Professor Presas taught in the 80s.
After the training sessions, there was a meeting for all of the camp goers who were planning on participating in the WMAA’s 2009 Tour of the Philippines. Many aspects of this trip were discussed and will be posted on the net as soon as all arrangements have been finalized.
Day 2 opened early for Black Belt testing, with several candidates testing for both Modern Arnis and Kombatan ranking. Training began with GM Tortal continuing his in-depth instruction of the Dekiti Tirsia system. Closing out the morning sessions was GM Manglinong who moved the group into more advanced Kombatan techniques. The group then broke up for lunch with most heading to a local restaurant. The afternoon sessions were opened by GM Tortal who completed his introduction to the Dekiti Tirsia system. GM Manglinong was up next with more Kombatan, with Saturdays training closed out by Datu Hartman with the WMAA EDT program and Mano-Mano techniques. After a short break, it was time for the banquet, which was a great success thanks to Janice’s excellent work as always. At the banquet, GM Tortal was presented with a birthday cake in honor of his 71st birthday.
The results of the mornings belt testing was announced with 7 testers earning rank promotions in Modern Arnis and/or Kombatan.
This year’s Camp Promotions were:
* Edward Mengel – 4th Modern Arnis, 2nd Kombatan
* Michael Milazzo – 2nd Kombatan
* Michael McDonough – 1st Kombatan
* Fern Monti – 1st Kombatan
* Dennis Jenner – 1st Kombatan
* Craig Balcer – 1st Modern Arnis, 1st Kombatan
* Thomas Sam Wolf – 1st Modern Arnis, 1st Kombatan
* Scott Caffrey – 3rd Modern Arnis, 1st Kombatan
* Marion Kellogg received her Dayang diploma from last year’s instructor camp.
In addition to these rank promotions, the following people were also named Chief Instructors for their respective states:
* PG Sal Todaro – Pennsylvania
* Ed Mengel – Maryland and Metro DC
* Sam Wolf – Ohio
It was also announced that while Datu Hartman was in the Philippines, he was designated Chief Instructor for New York by GGM Ernesto Presas.
Congratulations to all of the promotees!
As usual Datu Hartman used the dinner as an opportunity to discuss future plans and goals for the WMAA. This year he announced the addition of a sports division to the organization. This will feature anyos (forms), open hand as well as stick fighting events. Four tournaments were announced for the ’08 season as follows:
* June 14, 2008 The Pak Classic Mt Gilead, OH
* July 12, 2008 Queen City Laban Laro Buffalo, NY
* August 10, 2008 Can-Am Border Battle St. Catharines, ON Canada
* October 4, 2008 Queen City Karate Classic Buffalo, NY
After more socializing, the majority of the group retired to watch the new FMA Arnis-Kali-Eskrima movie produced by and starring Great GM Ernesto Presas. Both Datu Hartman and GM Manglinong had cameo appearances in the movie.
Day 3 was a short day, as both GM Manglinong and GM Tortal had to be at the airport early for their flights. Datu Hartman opened up the day with a school owner’s seminar – “The Value of and Selling Memberships”. Training then was opened by GM Manglinong who finished off the Kombatan segment of the camp, followed by Datu Hartman with Advanced Tapi-Tapi. This year’s camp then closed out with honors given to the late GM Presas.
Providing photographic services this year again was photographer and WMAA web designer Bob Hubbard.
July 12th, Buffalo, NY – Queen City Laban Laro Tournament
Datu Tim Hartman hosted the Queen City Laban Laro Tournament. Events included Single Stick, Double Stick and Sword Sparring.
July 18-20th 2008 MartialTalk/Kenpotalk/FMATalk/WNYMartialArts 2008 Meet and Greet
Datu Tim Hartman taught at this years event.
7-20-2008 Team USA Training
August 1st – 3rd, Buffalo, NY. 5th Annual WMAA Black Belt Camp – Instructors Camp.
This three day training camp featured Datu Hartman.
October 4th, Buffalo, NY – Queen City Karate Classic
Datu Tim Hartman hosted the Queen City Laban Laro Tournament. Events included Weapon, Forms and Fighting.
November 14th Sparring Seminar